Laborer’s Local #639 Benefits
The Ohio Laborers’ Fringe Benefit Programs (OLFBP) offers great benefits to eligible Laborers throughout the state of Ohio. To learn more about the benefits offered, please visit:
Insurance Benefits include:
- Medical – (Anthem BlueCross BlueShield)
- Prescription (Orchard Pharmaceutical Services)
- Vision (National Vision Administrators – NVA)
- Death and Dismemberment
- Short-term Disability
- Retiree Insurance
- Wellness and Disease Management Programs
You will establish your initial eligibility for insurance benefits the first of the month after you have worked 450 hours as a laborer (providing the 450 hours are in a six consecutive month period).
Once you meet initial eligibility requirements, eligibility is looked at on a monthly basis. If you meet any of the following for a given month, you will continue eligibility for that month:
- 300 hours in the first three months of the five months immediately preceding the month of coverage; or
- 300 hours in the first three months of the four months immediately preceding the month of coverage; or
- 1200 hours in the first 12 months of the 14 months immediately preceding the month of coverage; or
- 1200 hours in the first 12 months of the 13 months immediately preceding the month of coverage
So, if you work 300 hours every three month period or 1200 hours in every 12 month period, you will maintain your insurance benefits. 1200 hours every year does not automatically mean that you will continue to be eligible. The formulas look at every twelve month period separately (January – December, February – January, March – February, etc.)
There is no cost to you associated with establishing or maintaining your eligibility as long as you meet the eligibility requirements described above, regardless of the number of dependents you have. As part of the Laborers wage package, your contractors are required to pay a set amount for every hour you work as a laborer.
Need 5 credits to be vested – you must be vested to receive any type of pension benefit
- One credit per year max
- 1000 hours in calendar year = 1 pension credit
- 750 hours = ¾ credit, 500 hours = ½ credit, 250 hours = ¼ credit
- 5 consecutive years without a credit (or partial credit) and not already vested = forfeiture of all your hours/credits before the break.
OLFBP offers several different types of pension to choose from:
- Regular Retirement – age 60, 5 credits *
- Early Retirement – age 53, 10 credits * (benefit reduced by ¼% for every month you are under age 60)
- Special Service Retirement – age 53, 30 credits,* retire early without the reduction
- The Pension Fund also offers two types of Disability Pension Benefits for members who are unable to work, have 10 credits, and meet additional disability rules
- Accrued Vested Retirement – age 65, 5 years participation, and not under a break in service
* Requirements are current rules only.
In general, the gross amount of your monthly pension benefit is calculated one of two ways. The higher benefit calculation is automatically awarded.
- The number of pension credits you have received multiplied by $74, or
- The total number of hours worked multiplied by $.064
Note: Benefit can then be reduced for spousal options, Early Retirement, retiree insurance, and taxes.